Asbestos has been found in the charred remains of a beach house, gutted by a ferocious fire overnight in Palm Beach on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
Emergency services were called to a house fire on Barrenjoey Road around 9.30pm August 18. The timber holiday house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
More than 20 crews worked for nearly an hour to control the fire, which threatened nearby power lines and homes. “We saw flames, licking up into the sky, crackling everywhere,” a woman, who was on the balcony of a nearby apartment, told 9NEWS. “I saw flames shooting above the powerlines,” another neighbour said.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
The home was built before world war 2 and is riddled with Asbestos making it too dangerous for investigators to enter the burnt down property. Asbestos is common in homes of this age, surrounding homes are in danger of airborne