Asbestos Awareness Training
There are specific training requirements for Asbestos work and for employees who may be potentially exposed to Asbestos. This training is in addition to the general training requirements required as part of an employers primary duty of care to provide information, training and instruction.
Regional Enviroscience provides Asbestos awareness training for employees carrying out Asbestos removal work, also where naturally occurring Asbestos is likely to be found at a workplace and as part of an organisations Asbestos Management Plan when managing Asbestos in the workplace.
A worker must not be allowed to handle Asbestos unless they have have completed appropriate training or they hold a current licence.
Training records need to be kept while the worker is carrying out the work and for five years after the worker finished. These records must be readily accessible at the Asbestos removal area.
Regional Enviroscience’s Asbestos awareness training course provides the skills and knowledge necessary to identify Asbestos containing materials (ACMs) or suspected ACMs, and to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
Topics covered include:
- Identification of Asbestos or Asbestos containing materials
- Why exposure to Asbestos MUST be avoided
- Emphasis on what to do if a suspected ACM is identified.
Upon successful completion of this Asbestos awareness training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the properties of Asbestos
- Understand the health risks associated with Asbestos exposure
- Be aware of how Asbestos is used, and the likely occurrences of Asbestos
- Identify Asbestos and Asbestos containing materials (ACMs)
- Describe the safety requirements of working with Asbestos
- Implement emergency procedures to manage an uncontrolled release.
All participants will be issued with a Statement of Attendance. As this is only a brief awareness course, a competency-based accreditation cannot be awarded.
This course does meet the requirements for professional development, as required by a number of trades, and may therefore be used to gain professional development points.