What does Asbestos look like?
- Asbestos is a naturally occurring silicate mineral forming part of a rock and comes in several colours – blue Asbestos, brown Asbestos, white Asbestos, and green Asbestos.
- It’s hard to see what Asbestos looks like as the fibres are microscopic in nature, however are extremely durable and resistant to fire and most chemical reactions and breakdowns.
- Asbestos was commonly mixed in with other materials to form a bonded Asbestos product such as Asbestos cement, fibro and lino tiles.
- Asbestos was used extensively indoor and outdoor in buildings – wall sheeting, eaves, carport ceilings, corrugated roofing and fencing, sheeting in the bathroom, laundry, kitchen walls and ceilings from the 60s until the late 1980s when it was banned.
- You cannot tell what Asbestos looks like when in a bonded product – you need to have a laboratory test to Identify Asbestos in this form.
We are often asked – ‘What does Asbestos Look Like?’ It is impossible to determine what Asbestos looks like when it is in a bonded material, without without a laboratory test. Enviroscience enables you to do your own DIY sample and send into us to test for Asbestos in our NATA accredited Asbestos Lab. Just click the button below to download.
What Asbestos Looks Like
People often ask what does Asbestos look like – it’s hard to see the Asbestos fibres as they are microscopic in nature, however are extremely durable and resistant to fire and most chemical reactions and breakdowns. This was one of the reasons Asbestos was such a widely used product.
According to research 2 out of 3 houses built prior to 1987 were likely to have Asbestos containing materials. Asbestos was widely used in home construction from 1950 through to the mid 1980’s. As it’s so difficult to see what does Asbestos look like. the only way to be sure is to have a laboratory test which you can do with our DIY Asbestos Test Kit.
Find out what Asbestos Looks Like
Don’t take risks on your or your staff’s or family’s health and safety. Contact us now to find out how we can help you manage and assist you to determine what does Asbestos look like.
Enviroscience also offer a DIY Asbestos Test kit – download the kit here and send your sample to us for Asbestos testing for $80 per sample including free postage to Australian customers.
Asbestos testing is undertaken using our in-house laboratory services, which are NATA accredited for Asbestos testing and identification, using Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM) for bulk sample Asbestos analysis or Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM) for air samples. It is here we see what Asbestos looks like.
Regional Enviroscience are the Asbestos testing specialists, identifying Asbestos, Asbestos air monitoring, site remediation and Asbestos management plans. We independently identify, monitor and assist you to manage or remove Asbestos and other hazardous material & substances in commercial, community and residential locations.